THE creativity, resilience and innovation of regional businesses was celebrated at the Southland Business Excellence Awards on Friday night.
Fibreglass and 3-D manufacturing specialists Fi Innovations took home the Southland Business Chamber Supreme Award along with the Naked Creative Innovation Award and the Invercargill City Council Construction, Trades, Manufacturing & Distribution Sector Award.
Owner Gareth Dykes was also a finalist in the Meridian Energy One to Watch category.
Southland Chamber chief executive Sheree Carey said Fi Innovations was a company owned by Southland people and was a leader in 3-D plastic printing and resin-based processes, including fibreglass, composites, floor coatings, and flexible urethane manufacturing.
She was also impressed with the quality of the finalists and the record number of applications – about 140.
“The judges were truly inspired by the innovative and passionate stories from throughout the Southland region and the world, and the resilience shown in the past two years during the pandemic.”
Southland Business Excellence Awards 2021 winners:
- Southland Business Chamber Supreme Award: Fi Innovations.
- Southern Institute of Technology Business Personality Award: Joc O’Donnell (Transport World/HW Richardson Group).
- Findex Primary & Primary Services Award: Alliance Group.
- Invercargill City Council Construction, Trades, Manufacturing and Distribution Sector Award: Fi Innovations.
- PowerNet New and Emerging Award: Crunchy.
- The Southland Times Consumer Service Sector Award: Transport World. Highly Commended was given in this category to Black Shag Boutique.
- Invercargill Licensing Trust Not for Profit Award: Koha Kai.
- Progress People Professional Service Sector Award: Digital Stock, Highly Commended was given in this category to Malloch McClean.
- Naked Creative Innovation Award: Fi Innovations.
- ACC Workplace Injury Prevention Award: Altitude Resurfacing.
- Blue River Dairy Workplace Wellbeing Award: Aquila Sustainable Farming.
- Meridian Energy One to Watch Award: Benji Biswas.