19yo charged with attempted murder

    SHARE
    Police were called to a Winton house after a man was shot on Monday afternoon. Photo: Toni McDonald

    A 19-YEAR-OLD accused of shooting a man in Winton has been charged with attempted murder.

    The man, who has interim name suppression, appeared at the Invercargill District Court on Tuesday morning. He did not apply for bail.

    Duty lawyer Richard Smith asked Judge Russell Walker to grant name suppression due to his young age and “dynamics” around the offending.

    No plea was entered and the judge remanded the accused in custody to reappear in the Invercargill High Court on January 25.

    Police were called to a house in Park St, Winton, about 1pm on Monday where it was reported a firearm had been discharged.

    In a statement, Inspector Jon Bisset said officers arrived to find a man with gunshot wounds.

    He was transported to hospital where he was reported to be in a serious but stable condition.

    “Police, along with the Armed Offenders Squad attended, cordons were put in place and nearby schools were put into lockdown temporarily as a precaution.”

    The accused was found in Invercargill later in the day and arrested, Insp Bisset said.

    Police were not seeking anyone else in relation to the incident but inquiries were ongoing.

    Advertisement