THERE will be no Burt Munro Challenge (BMC) next year, however mark your calendars for February 2018.
Hosted by the Southland Motorcycle Club, the challenge was set up after The World’s Fastest Indian movie which featured Burt Munro and his motorcycle land-speed breaking journey was aired in 2005.
Eleven seasons of the demanding weather had annually raised questions about the timing of the challenge, which was traditionally held over four days in late November.
This year it was no different, with gale-force winds blowing down safety fences, in particular at the street races in Invercargill, and races having to be shortened.
On Monday, the BMC organising committee voted unanimously to move the event to February in pursuit of better weather.
BMC chairman Wayne Affleck said the weather in late November had consistently been disappointing, so the decision was made to move the event to the second weekend in February each year.
“The BMC has grown in stature to being a truly international event and the committee want to improve the chances of providing a better experience for all those involved.”
Discussions had been held with major sponsors and suppliers to ensure everyone was comfortable with the proposed change, he said.
“The committee appreciates the fantastic support it had received from competitors, rally attendees, spectators, sponsors, officials and volunteers over the last 11 years, and we look forward to continuing to work together to deliver an exciting and action-packed event for Southlanders and visitors in the future.”