Hopes fade for missing man

    SHARE
    Missing Invercargill man Raymond Horn. Photo: NZ Police

    THE possibility of finding missing Invercargill man Raymond Horn alive is diminishing, but police will continue searching and doing everything possible to find him, the Southland police chief says.

    Mr Horn went missing on February 15, after he left Walmsley House, the rest-home in Richmond where he was living.

    Police were called at 1pm after an unsuccessful search in the immediate area by rest-home staff.

    Since then emergency services, Land Search and Rescue and volunteers had carried out an extensive search in areas of interest.

    Police had also released CCTV footage which showed the last sightings of Mr Horn when he was walking through Queens Park, Invercargill, on the morning he went missing, between 10.20am and 11am.

    Speaking to the Southland Express yesterday, Southland Area Commander Inspector Mike Bowman said police had great concerns about the well-being of Mr Horn, given his health conditions and the amount of time he had been missing.

    “We are still hoping he’s still alive but, as the days go by, the likelihood is diminishing – wqhich is sad.

    “The key is that we are still looking for Mr Horn because we want to locate him and return him to his family.”

    Residential areas, Queens Park, the Waihopai River, Otepuni Stream and the entire CBD were among the areas of interest which had been searched; with search efforts involving dog handlers, helicopters and kayakers.

    Police had established Mr Horn had been on Macmaster St, and in the vicinity of Queens Park, but were still trying to piece together his movements from there.

    Insp Bowman said a large team would continue to work and conduct inquiries trying to gather more information about Mr Horn’s movements after the Yarrow St and Queens Park footage.

    He urged everyone to keep checking their properties and if they had CCTV, to check if they had any sightings of Mr Horn.

    “The community have been really supportive. We’ve had so many people trying to help and checking their homes.

    “But the message that we have is for people to continue to check their properties even if they have already done it.”

    Another search phase was being planned to be carried out during the weekend, Insp Bowman said.

    “We will keep searching and continue to ask the community to be really vigilant.”

    Insp Bowman thanked the community for its support.

    • Anyone with information should contact Police on 105 and quote event number P045508171.
    Advertisement