Teretonga retains premier event

SHARE
Racing action at Teretonga Park earlier this year. Photo: Dave Loudon Photography 

TERETONGA Park has been confirmed as one of the venues for next season’s Premier Motorsport Championship.

The circuit has been allocated the weekend of January 19-21 for the event.

While Teretonga generally attracts some of the biggest and most enthusiastic motorsport crowds in the country, there are four motor racing circuits in the South Island and provision for just two South Island rounds.

Each year the event brings about 180 competitors to the city along with their crews for a minimum of four nights. Among those competitors are several international drivers and it is not uncommon for the odd private jet to be parked at Invercargill Airport while the series is in town. The economic benefit to the region is considerable, while there is also global television coverage of the Castrol Toyota Racing Series which is one of the feature classes contested by a full field of international drivers.

A full list of the categories destined for the 2018 event will be released in due course.

In recent years two current Formula 1 drivers, Russian Daniil Kvyat and Canadian Lance Stroll, have raced at the circuit as part of the Toyota Series.

Each year the event brings about 180 competitors to the city along with their crews for a minimum of four nights. Among those competitors are several international drivers and it is not uncommon for the odd private jet to be parked at Invercargill Airport while the series is in town. The economic benefit to the region is considerable, while there is also global television coverage of the Castrol Toyota Racing Series which is one of the feature classes contested by a full field of international drivers.

A full list of the categories destined for the 2018 event will be released in due course.

In recent years two current Formula 1 drivers, Russian Daniil Kvyat and Canadian Lance Stroll, have raced at the circuit as part of the Toyota Series.

Car Club president Dean Maw said the club was “stoked” to have the national series back again.

“We are indebted to our many supporters, particularly the Invercargill Licensing Trust and the Invercargill City Council whose support has allowed us to retain the event. We also thank our spectators who turn out in their droves each year to enjoy top-class motorsport.”

Trust marketing and sales manager Chris Ramsay said: “The vibrancy this event brings to Invercargill is unquestionable and we can’t wait for January 2018.”

Motorsport fans can now mark the dates January 19-21 in their diary and get ready to enjoy a weekend of top-quality racing once again next year.

Southland Sports Car Club president Dean Maw said the club was “stoked” to have the national series back again.

“We are indebted to our many supporters, particularly the Invercargill Licensing Trust and the Invercargill City Council whose support has allowed us to retain the event. We also thank our spectators who turn out in their droves each year to enjoy top-class motorsport.”

Motorsport fans can now mark the dates January 19-21 in their diary and get ready to enjoy a weekend of top-quality racing once again next year.

Advertisement