Thunder and muscle takes over Teretonga

Ken Rowe, of Hamilton, in his Volvo NH stirs up some dust during a Super Truck race at the Southern Thunder event at Teretonga Park last Sunday, while Garry Price, of Invercargill, cruises on past in his International Transtar. Photos: Dave Loudon

WELLINGTON driver Alex Little made it a three-peat when he took the points win at Round 3 of the NZ Super Truck Championship at Teretonga Park in Invercargill at the weekend.

The trucks were part of Southern Thunder presented by Downer, the final race meeting of the season at the circuit.

Little has twice won the Teretonga round and added another when he accumulated results of sixth, first and third in his Freightliner 3 Series across the three points scoring races.

David West, of Pukekohe, finished second overall in his Freightliner Argosy with Tony Brand, of Rangiora, third in a KM Bedford. Ken Rowe, of Hamilton, won the Super Truck Flying Farewell in his Volvo.

Five-time New Zealand champion and championship leader coming into the round, Troy Wheeler, of Hicks Bay, had a troubled weekend, breaking a driveshaft in testing and missing qualifying before bouncing back to win the opening race. He followed that with a second on Sunday but his weekend ended at that point.

The Mobil 1 Mainland Muscle Cars provided great racing and John Hepburn, of Timaru, in a Holden Monaro took the top step of the podium ahead of Steve Scoles, of Dunedin, (Chev Camaro) and Rob Lewis, of Rangiora, in another Monaro.

Invercargill driver Brendan Mason broke the lap record in his Chev Camaro in a charge through the field to third place on Sunday morning, leaving the new mark at 1 minute 01.185 seconds. Mason, Scoles, Lewis and Paul Boden, of Porirua, in another Camaro were the race winners during the weekend.

Invercargill drivers John Smolenski and Garry Price in Ford Falcons plus Cliff Bruning, of Nelson, in an EH Holden were the winners in the three Pre 65 Saloon races. Smolenski’s win, allied to his other results of third and fourth, secured the overall win from Christchurch driver Corey Ross in a Mustang and Gary Shaw, of Dunedin, in another Falcon.

Liam MacDonald, of Invercargill, carried on his winning way in the Noel McIntyre Drainage Club Saloons taking the weekend from fellow Falcon drivers Bradley Rule, of Queenstown, and Kevin Underwood, of Invercargill. In the class race MacDonald took out Class 4, while other winners were Invercargill drivers Andrew Lawrie (Mitsubishi Mirage), Class 3, Jeremy Dawson (Toyota Starlet), Class 2 and Todd Blackmun (Vauxhall Chevette), Class 1.

Simon Baker, of Wellington, took out the Mazda Racing Series with two wins and a second with Matt Horne, of Masterton, second and Cantabrian Matt Dodd third.

Queenstown driver Michael Hall won the annual A1 Auto Services 1 Hour Race in his VW Golf GTi after fastest qualifier Jordan Michels struck problems as did early leader Bruce Davidson, of Alexandra, in his Corvette.

Scott Milne, of Invercargill, brought his BMW Mini home second while father and son combination Boyd and Harry Wilson were third, despite a quick spin late in the race after a brief shower left the track wet for the second half of the race. Davidson set a new race lap record of 1.02.330 during the race.

  • Lindsay Beer is the Southland Sports Car Club publicity officer