THE challenge is on for fighters to pit their skills against their rivals and support a worthy cause in the process, with entries now open for next year’s eighth Fight for Kidz charity boxing tournament.
“Every boxer that has [participated in Fight for Kidz] has said it was the biggest physical and mental challenge they have ever done, but it was also probably the most rewarding thing they have ever done,” co-organiser Steve Boutcher said. “Ninety-five per cent of the boxers said this, even the ones who placed second on the night.
“It is also for a good cause, and the money stays in Southland with Southland kids benefiting from it.”
Twenty-four fighters were needed for the 12-bout event, open to male and female competitors.
Fellow organiser Dave Bartley said they encouraged representatives from rival businesses or sporting codes in Southland to challenge their competitors in the ring.
It could be rival real estate agents, an employee from Fonterra taking on a Tiwai smelter worker, a Southland Stag rugby player against a Southland Ram rugby league player, or even head boys from two Southland secondary schools going head-to-head, he said.
Mr Bartley and Mr Boutcher have been organising the biennial charity boxing tournament since 2003, raising more than $500,000 for Southland children’s charities in that time.
Mr Bartley said as well as seeking interest from fighters wanting to take part in the event, they were also seeking a Southland children’s charity to be the recipient of next year’s event, and sponsors to support the event.
Mr Boutcher said in previous years Fight for Kidz was held in August, but next year’s event had been brought forward in part because of the calving season and the warmer weather being better for training.
Entries for fighters close on December 1, with selected fighters announced on December 5. Training starts at the end of January/early February.