TE ANAU has much to offer at Labour Weekend with a plethora of events for all ages.
- The 13th Stabicraft Te Anau Manapouri Fishing Classic 2020 is a three-day event with a prize pool of up to $50,000 and the major prize a Stabicraft Southern 1550 Fisher boat and trailer. The event starts at 2pm on Friday, October 23, and ends on Sunday, October 25, at 2pm.
The classic takes place on lakes Te Anau and Manapouri and the upper Waiau River. Teams and individuals compete for the largest fish with spot prizes based on “mystery” catch factors. The competition includes juniors (12-17 years) and under-12s.
Prizegiving will be at 3pm at Te Anau Rugby Club Grounds. Entries are open until Thursday, October 22, at www.teanauevents.co.nz
- Cruise Milford Take a Kid Fishing is a chance for children aged under 11 to give fishing a go. The competition will run from 7.30am to 6pm on Saturday, October 24, with experienced anglers on hand to demonstrate techniques, plus giveaways and prizes.
- The Fiordland Community Events Centre will host the 50th Te Anau Lions Club Steptoe Auction on Saturday, October 24, from 9am-12.30pm. Te Anau Lions Club will also collect/accept any unwanted mobile phones, old coins, or old pairs of glasses. Proceeds to community projects and Hospice. To find out more, phone Natalie Shanks on 027 391 4589 Brian Risk on (03) 249 7054 or Doug Ramsay on 027 680 5677.
- The 16th Manapouri Art Group Exhibition will have its opening night at the Manapouri Hall with guest artist Ben Ho and his wife Mary Mai, of Lake Hayes. All are welcome to attend at 7.30pm on Friday, October 23, with a cash bar operating and a light supper served. The exhibition will be open Saturday and Sunday, October 24 and 25, 10am-4pm, and Monday, October 26, 9am-2pm. Gold coin entry. Alongside the exhibition, the Show Shine Car Show will be held on Saturday, October 24, with classic cars and entertainment from 11am-4pm.
- The 39th Multi Media Art Exhibition, hosted by the Fiordland Arts Society, will be held in the Fiordland Community Events Centre on Saturday, October 24, and Sunday, October 25, 10am to 5pm daily; and Monday, 26 October, 10am to 3pm. Saturday includes a free afternoon tea with an opportunity to meet the artists and listen to live music. Gold coin entry, children free. To find out more, go to the Facebook page.
- The Fiordland Sunday Market will be at The Village Green, town centre, Saturday, October 24, 10am-2pm, and Monday, October 26, Te Anau Club, cnr Pop Andrew Dr and Jackson St. Inquiries: Merle Buchanan on 03 249 8404 or 021 158 6686.
- Te Anau Community Market, Fiordland Community Events Centre, Monday, October 26, from 9am. Phone Alana on 0272 023 294.
- Fiordland Hockey Club Six’s Social Hockey Tournament will be at Fiordland College, October 24, 9am-4pm.