SOUTHLANDERS looking to enjoy their own backyard will have plenty of options in Te Anau during the school holidays.
As well as Milford Sound cruises, a round of disc golf at Ivon Wilson Park or a visit to the Te Anau Bird Sanctuary, there will be plenty of family fun on offer for residents and visitors.
For those keen on tramping, there are walking tracks around the area, and Te Anau’s lakefront walkways are easy and accessible for families.
Te Anau’s Lake2Lake Trail begins at the Department of Conservation Visitor Centre in Te Anau. The multi-use trail runs alongside Lake Te Anau and the east side of the Waiau River towards Lake Manapouri. The first 19km from Te Anau to Balloon Loop and last 4.7km from Manapouri to Supply Bay Road is open for walkers, runners, cyclists and non-motorised transport.
To connect the trail, users can travel on State Highway 95. To find out more, go to www.trailstrust.co.nz
- School holiday events in Te Anau
- Saturday, July 4, Te Anau Rugby Club Seniors v Waikaka, 3pm, Te Anau Sportsground, Dusky St
- Fiordland Family Fun Day, July 5, 2pm-5pm, Fiordland Community Events Centre, free activities for all ages – Craig Smith of Wonky Donkey fame (TBA), bouncy castles, face painting, giant Jenga, mini indoor soccer, trampolining, glowsticks, balloons. Free barbecue and afternoon tea.
- Southland District Council Libraries school holiday fun, Friday, July 10, 10am-noon, Te Anau Library. Children aged 7-14 can create a sock puppet. Younger children must have an adult to help. Materials supplied but bring a sock. To book, phone 0800 732 542
- Fiordland Sunday Market, July 12, 10am-2pm. Phone Merle on 021 158 6686